Wednesday 14 November 2012

More Betterer


Let's face it. English is too damn demanding. We have to spell words, use commas and full stops, and then decide how many exclamation marks to use at the end of something remarkable!! And then that's not all. Nowadays we're having to contend with… with…  double superlatives! "Say what?" You ask, your tone aghast and your face warped with shock. Precisely.

Let's be clear. Saying things like "more nicer" and "more stronger" don't make any sense. But not saying them is yet another cumbersome task for the burden of speechcraft. All these regulations - it's hard enough as is not to break the law without worrying about the rules of… how do I say it… language! Well, worry no more. For I offer you the most moral code of moral codes: if you really don't want to give something up, justify it!1 After all, if you can't beat'em, join'em.

The phrase "more better", along with all its variations, has become widely used in today's declin- I mean Western society. It probably stems from the fact that some words allow you to attach "er" to the end, like 'cuter', 'smoother' and 'funnerer', while others don't, like 'satisfied-er' and 'beautiful-er'. In the case of the latter two, one should say "more satisfied" or "more beautiful". Halt! All of a sudden we have two different utensils for the exact same piece of pie, and only one of them ever serves as proper etiquette. It's only natural, therefore, that they sometimes get mismatched, or we simply become too accustomed to our spoon of choice.

There are two main reasons why a man shouldn't say terms like "more better".
1) They don't make sense.
2) They sound retarded. The 'er' in "better" does the same job as the word 'more' preceding it. Forsooth, they mean exactly the same thing and do exactly the same job. Thus, if you say something like, "My new job is a lot more better," it's like saying, "My new job is a lot betterer," or, "My new job is a lot more more bett," to either of which I'd ask, "Who hired you?"

But this phrase, which simply leaves the word 'more' completely and utterly redundant, has been ingrained into your minds like the alphabet. Like how one plus one is two and not, in fact, sixty-five. It's part of the basics, and cannot be simply erased without you questioning the authenticity of your very own childhood. Fortunately there is no such need to wipe your memory. At least not yet.

It should be noted that I'm a man who doesn't just complain, but comes up with solutions as well. In fact, I can think of an entire one reason that completely justifies the use of 'more better'. Take Bobbery, for instance. Bobbery broke his leg last Sunday. It's now Tuesday. Life sucks because he's maimed and can't do much. But he can still talk - and his mouth is now his only remaining source of dignity. Screw that up, and he might as well be a fish.
Sarmeena, one of his good friends, pops in for a visit. "How's the leg?" she asks.
"Well," Bobbery begins, "it's more better than it was yesterday."
"Uh, what did you just say?" she says, her tone aghast and her face warped with shock. Rightfully so.
"Sarmeena, I can explain."
"I'm listening," she concedes, proving her loyalty as a friend through thick and thin.
Bobbery takes a deep breath. "You see, yesterday I was feeling a bit better than Sunday; but today I'm feeling much better than yesterday."
"So?" Hostility is creeping into her tone now.
"So, the amount by which I feel better today in relation to yesterday is greater than that which I felt yesterday with regards to the day before."
The ensuing silence is awkward, and Bobbery senses that the threads of their friendship are wearing thin and farther between. Much to his relief, she simply laughs and flicks her hair. "Oh, why didn't you just say so?" And she proceeds to share her chocolate with him, chocolate that she was about to keep to herself. It's berry and biscuit.

So what did Bobbery mean, exactly? Simple. The improvement in Bobbery's health between Monday and Tuesday was greater than the improvement between Sunday and Monday. Thus, he feels more better today than he did yesterday. So long as this explanation can apply to your uses of the term 'more better' or any of its variants, you will be able to defend ridicule, embarrassment and the Facebook-approved certainty of your friendships.2 You can thank me laterer.

------------------------------
1.    Sarcasm
2.    This justification actually holds no water at all. "More better" still sounds retarded because Bobbery could (and should) have instead said, "even better," or, "better yet". Fortunately you probably didn't read this far.

8 comments:

  1. Rita didn't miss the last footnote, but did Bobbery? Probbery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, in your explanation of acceptable instances of adding 'er' to words, you use 'funnerer' as an example. Are you therefore implying that 'funner' in itself is a word?
    According to the Urban Dictionary, which I don't normally cite, but in this case I'll make an exception, the definition reads:
    Funner. The dumb person's way of saying 'more fun'.
    Last week I was trying to help my English class understand that 'funner' and 'funnest' are not 'real' words, even though they are in common usage. You can use them verbally and to help with a certain colloquial style in creative writing, but never in a formal essay. Good times :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hannah,
      To answer your question, no. I am not implying that 'funner' is a word. I do, however, expect readers to be clever enough to know this for themselves without me having to explain, and thus give credit to such readers whom I believe have the capacity to notice the irony and/or sarcasm in these cases. My intention isn't always so much to educate the grammatically-challenged as it is to reinforce the grammatically-savvy. I take you to be one of the latter.
      Of course, no one's perfect, so I appreciate you taking the time to clarify what I did, in fact, intend in that section of the blog. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and by "no one's perfect", I was replying to myself, not you! Haha.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not taking grammar advice from anyone who names their fictional character "Bobbery".

    ReplyDelete

About

My photo
This blog includes stuff that I've written.
Powered by Blogger.