Tuesday 5 February 2013

Five words that aren't words but should be. Start saying them.


This list was harder to think up than I anticipated, and not because the non-words are used so scarcely that I'd almost forgotten about them. Anna, a friend who can vouch for me that these non-words should be words, put it nicely when she said,
"The problem is we use them so normal-like, that they aren't stored in our heads as weirdly words."
Just so; I hope they become stored in your heads as nothing less than funtastic.

Trouché
Trou∙ché
Exclamation
Used to acknowledge taking a 'hit' (as in the word touché), only that the hit was also true. A combination of touché and true.

1.         "Aah! My house is on fire!"
            "That's probably because you left the oven on."
            "Trouché."


Goog/Googs
Verb or Noun
An abbreviation for Google.

Examples:
1.         "I'm bored. How long does it take for the fire truck to get here?"
            "I dunno, why don't you Goog it?"

2.         After using Google to find the answer to your question: "Thanks Googs!"


Possibtentially
Poss∙ib∙ten∙tial∙ly
Adverb
Both able to be done and possible. A combination of possibly and potentially.
Synonyms
Proboplausibly

Examples:
1.         "Do you think Mister Muggles is still alive?"
            "Possibtentially."



Zactlo
Zact∙lo
Adverb
The alien term for exactly. It's also more fun to use.

Examples:
1.         "Mister Muggles has an acute sense for danger."
            "Yeah. Plus it wasn't like I put him in the oven."
            "Zactlo!"


Hugify
Hug∙i∙fy
Expression or verb
Used upon magically making something bigger than its ordinary size, that is, after hugifying an object or person. The exact duration of hugification is irrelevant.

Examples:
1.         "Oh look, here comes the fire truck."
            "Hugify!"
            "Huh? Whoa! You just supersized that truck! How did you do that?"
            You smile knowingly. "I'm a wizard."
            "Couldn't you use your magic to extinguish the flames?"
            A lengthy pause. "Trouché."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

My photo
This blog includes stuff that I've written.
Powered by Blogger.