Tuesday 3 September 2013

Just for the lolz

Text communication is a wonderful thing. Obviously. Writing is communication, and I love to write. Unfortunately, a casual text conversation does not account for body language or tones of voice, most notable when it comes to one word responses like "lol", or short phrases like "okay then". Such comments are useful and quick, but they're also terribly vague; and, more often than not, they don't mean what they're supposed to mean.

I wrote a simple guide to clarify the kinds of physical and verbal responses that I, and many other people, exhibit when we make these types of comments.


Response: hi; hey; hello; hiya; hi there; herro
Expression: Smile
What I might be thinking: How wonderful to hear from you, you awesome person, you; please don't think me sad for not adding an exclamation mark. I greeted you, didn't I?

Response: good; good thanks; well
Expression: N/A
What I might be thinking: I am good. That is all.

Response: not much; nothing much
Expression: N/A
What I might be thinking: Quite a lot, actually, but I lack the energy to explain.

Response: uh huh; mhmm; mm; m
Expression: N/A
What I might be thinking: Please, go on.

Response: huh; I see
Expression: Possible head nod
What I might be thinking: Interesting; I have nothing else to say; I hope you don't think I want you to stop talking to me; I'm playing a game and you're distracting me.

Response: busy
Expression: Frown
What I might be thinking: I'm playing a game and you're distracting me, but you're still awesome.

Response: interesting
Expression: Possible head nod
What I might be thinking: I have nothing else to say, but I've said "huh" three times already.

Response: k; kk; riteo; yes sir; yessum; yes boss; yes m'lord
Expression: N/A
What I might be thinking: Okay; agreed; confirmed; roger.

Response: lol
Expression: Possible snicker; possible half smile; possible nothing
What I might be thinking: I see; funny; acknowledged.

Response: ha
Expression: Smirk
What I might be thinking: Good one.

Response: haha
ExpressionPotential silent laughter
What I might be thinking: That was funny. It certainly deserved more than a "lol", but it was no "hahaha".

Response: hahaha; LOL
Expression: Audible laughter
What I might be thinking: You and your funniness; this is why we're friends.

Response: mwahaha; kekeke; fufufu
Expression: Rubbing of hands; malicious smile; wide eyes; cackle
What I'll be thinking: I eat my friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

My photo
This blog includes stuff that I've written.
Powered by Blogger.