Monday 19 September 2016

The sensei, the school, and the bitter cucumber.

It’s 4pm, school has finished, but the staff room is ever abuzz with teachers. To my left, Aizumi sensei graces a trio of sweat-smeared colleagues with two rigorously sweeping hand fans. On my right, Akubara sensei works the tape measure to see how, in millimetres, his height compares to mine. And in front of me, the vice principal stamps my work log before writing in the comment box, “Hot Matt!” Yes, hot Matt. Gochu’s vice principal makes the most of his rudimentary English.

I thank him as he returns the journal, and begin to head out. “Matt!” he calls after, and the sternness in his voice makes me wonder what dastardly thing I’ve done wrong. I turn to him, showing no fear; then, finally, without any give in his single expression, he says, “Easy come, easy go.”

Wise words. I tell him so.

“Wise?” he responds.

“Smart.”

“Wise, wiser, wisest?”

“Yes, that’s right!”

“Matt, Matter, Mattest?”

“Uhh...” I scratch my head. “We’ll get there.” Surely. I mean, that is what I’m here for, right?

Sensei's feedback is never taken for granted.
The average day at school is both seamless and straight forward: there is a class, then there is another class, then there is another class. If I’m with the same teacher for more than one of those classes, each of them is the same, just with a different set of kids. On a good day you might say the final set gets graced with a very polished duet from me and the JTE. On a bad day you’d say we sound like drones.

But even when our team-teaching is amazing, it is also, simultaneously, not. Due to a combination of excessive heat, excessive height and ever-increasing (bordering on excessive) hunger, by the third or fourth period I begin to feel light-headed. Class becomes a mission of searching for excuses to walk around the room or lean against flat sections of wall. Seriously, I’m no longer thinking about what the students are doing or what the teacher is saying; I’m devising schemes that will ensure I don’t faint for 50 minutes whilst all the time looking normal. 

It's funny in hindsight; it’s not so funny in class as I'm wondering when hindsight will be the only sight I have left.

But then the class finishes, it’s lunch time, and, as I sit down to eat, I learn anew that without the four-hour suffering, my stomach would not know heaven.

One perk is that I don’t have to prepare my own lunch: it’s all provided. Students and teachers each get a handsome helping of rice, soup, salad, and... well... to be honest, I often don’t know what the fourth thing is. Today I’d thought it might be onions, or shrimps, or some strange deep-fried insect that tasted like onions and shrimps. I shrugged and ate it anyway, but it was none of these things. It was bitter cucumber.

Other times it’s fish, or pork, or some unrecognisable thing to which I shrug and devour all the same. A yearning stomach does not discriminate.

There’s also a carton of milk, which I'm still getting accustomed to consuming with lunch, but which is fine because, for all those times when the food doesn't sate my appetite, the milk does its job convincing my stomach that it did.

On that note, a friend from back home asked me what the low-light is. I said the hunger. Another asked me the highlight. I said the food. Such is the world we live in.

I mean, yeah, there are other low-lights, like the time the teacher left and I proceeded to read half of a story before realising I was meant to get the students to ‘repeat after me’ with each line; but that was only a lowlight until I remembered all the times I could’ve made a fool of myself and didn’t. In the end I felt quite victorious.

But that’s school. I’m actually home as I type this. Procrastinating. Really I should be doing the dishes, cleaning up the plum wine that spilled in my fridge, and, I dunno, making dinner or something. I’ll get to one of those things now. Easy come, easy go.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

My photo
This blog includes stuff that I've written.
Powered by Blogger.